Five Reasons Why Your Smartphone is Better for Your Vacation Than a Camera
Updated: Sep 1, 2022
Most people want to take at least a few photos on their vacation, but not everyone wants the fuss of packing and keeping track of an extra piece of electronic equipment.
Have you considered leaving your digital camera at home and simply using the built-in camera on your smartphone?
Here are a few reasons why using your phone might be the best thing that ever happened to your vacation photos.
1. It’s always with you. Always. When you travel, your smartphone is likely already serving several purposes beyond just being a calling device. It’s unlikely you go many places without it, and it’s second nature to just have it on hand. How many times have you gone somewhere and accidentally left the camera in the hotel room or in the car? My sister left her camera on a bus in Tuscany one time and we spent half the day unsuccessfully trying to track that thing down. Not fun. Using your cell phone can help ensure that you’ll have a great camera handy when that moment-to-remember comes up.
2. It takes surprisingly high-quality photos. Most phones now have an 8 megapixel (or higher) camera. That’s high-resolution enough to get a clear 20” x 24” print should you want it!
3. No messing around with memory cards or uploading to your computer. You always have the option, of course, to upload your photos at any time to your computer. But with your smartphone, you can also instantly upload images to Facebook, send them in an instant message, email them to yourself or others, or back them up on the Cloud. No cords or plugins are required.
TRAVEL TIP: Be sure to offload your photos and videos before you travel to maximize space on your smartphone for your new travel photos.
4. Interesting apps galore can make your images look pro in no time. Free apps like CANVA and cheap apps like HIPSTAMATIC are used by millions of hobby and professional photographers every day. You can crop, add frames, apply filters, and share your photos right from the app itself, plus edited photos are automatically added to your phone’s photo library. There are hundreds of photo editing applications available. You never know: you might be inspired to get more into photography through your mobile device than through an actual camera!
5. A 21st-Century take on the “wish you were here” postcard. If you read my December 9th newsletter then you know the woes of try9inig to mail a postcard. Now you can send personalized postcards to friends and family in less than 30 seconds – without stamps or trying to find a post office. POSTGRAM is a free app that lets you upload vacation images from Instagram, Facebook, or your phone’s photo library and then add a short personal note. You enter the recipient’s address, and voila! — Postagram prints your photo and message on high-quality glossy paper and mails it directly for you. It is a fast, convenient, and personal way to keep in touch with those you love while you’re away.
Today, even those who consider themselves photo enthusiasts love the convenience and creative challenge of using their phones to capture their most treasured photographic moments. With all that your smartphone can do, maybe this is the year to take your vacation photography to new heights!
If you have your phone ready, I’m ready to help you find the perfect place to start taking pictures! You can contact me today to help you start planning your summer getaway – just click here!